Wednesday 6 February 2019

'I have lived up to 100 years in the palace'













               
                       Interview with Baba Kekere


            



 At the Palace of Alaafin of  Oyo is this honourable and respected old  man  who has witnessed the reigns of three monarchs and  whose age can not be ascertained. Some guess  he should be  close to 100 years  which he did not dispute . He is popularly called  Baba Kekere , he spoke with Taiwo Abiodun




Baba Kekere
              He is called Baba  Kekere possibly because  of his stature .He should be about three feet tall.He wears his muslim praying cap. Call him Baba Kekere and he would reply you.He is funny and jovial as he relates with everybody without annoyance.
 According to him , he has been living in the Alaafin Palace for several  years, he said he once served AlaafinO ba Adeniran  Adeyemi II who reigned between 1945 -1956, (the father of the current Alaafin)  he also served Oba Ladigbolu who reigned between 1956-1968, and he is serving the present Alaafin Oba Lamidi Adeyemi III, 1970-present ,thus he has served for  71 years and still counting.
When asked of his children, Baba Kekere said they are in the Northern area while his wife was at home at the time he was being interviewed.
 INTERVIEW WITH BABA KEKERE

     Baba Kekere and BoN
  BoN:  What is your name ?
 Baba Kekere : My name is Morenikeji
   BoN: Morenikeji what?
  Baba Kekere: Morenikeji   Laisi

   BoN:  What do you do at the Palace
 Baba Kekere :  I run errands for the King
 BoN: Since when have  you been in the Palace?
 Baba Kekere:  I  have been here for a while
 BoN:  How many Kings have you  worked for?
  Baba Kekere:  I have worked for three Kings
  BoN: What is the name of the first one you worked with?
Baba Kekere:  I have  worked with the father of the current Alaafin, [Alaafin Oba   Adeniran Adeyemi II] , Alaafin Ladigbolu, and the present Alaafin Oba Lamidi Adeyemi III
   BoN:  How old are you?
   Baba Kekere: My date of birth was not recorded at the  time I was born
 BoN: Then you must be up to 100 years old
Baba Kekere: Yes, of course
BoN: We are informed that you are the tallest in this palace
Baba Kekere: [ laughs] Yes, I am the tallest
BoN: Where are your children?
Baba Kekere: They are in the Northern area
BoN: How many wives do you have?
Baba Kekere: I have only one wife
BoN: Where is she
Baba Kekere: She is at home
BoN: Is she taking good care of you very well  or should I help you look for another one?
Baba Kekere:I don't want another one , it's money that I want now! [ laughter]
BoN: What did you call your name again?
Baba Kekere: Morenikeji
BoN: Thanks a lot, I am humbled
PLS LIKE,COMMENT, SHARE AND SUBSCRIBE  TO THIS WEBSITE

No comments:

Post a Comment

"I want to see electricity before I die"

High Chief  Olorunsola Alfred Ajibuwa , 90, is a retired teacher.  He says his Community is surroun ded by enemies. He spoke with Taiwo Ab...