Wednesday 6 February 2019

Ijimagodo 2


The man that drinks animal blood as food 
In Ila Orangun , Osun State is a living deity called Ijimagodo who some claim he  had lived up to 150years.He feeds on animal blood.Taiwo Abiodun was there 
Custodian of the deity 

He lives in a mud house in the compound where  "Ile  Alapinni Eyindi Ila Orangun'
He is a man of small stature but his stature notwithstanding he is feared, honoured and respected because of the dreadful  job he does and  as the head of As he arrived  home with his visitors ,all  the women in the household  quickly  went on their kneels and  greeted him.While still on their kneels and  with their heads bowed , they chanted  panegyrics , sang his praises  hailing him with  the voice that shook the palatial  building. A parrot  kept in the corner of the balcony in its  cage  too added its voice as it screamed ' Alapinni, you are welcome, your wives and loving people are greeting you" .The man in question, Alalpinni too responded and thanked them while this reporter showed appreciation by giving the women some money .This is  where  Pa Mohammed Aderemi Adedeji  one of the most popular man in Ila Orangun lives.
In Ila Orangun Adedeji is not only known as a retired military officer but because of the  sensitive and dreadful tittle he holds.Adedeji is the Alalpinni of Ila Orangun , he is in charge of the dreaded Ijimagodo in Ila Orangun , a  living deity .
Who is Ijimagodo?
The mere mention of Ijimagodo instills fear in many people - both natives and non natives.According  to the wise men of the town , Ijimagodo was and is a human being but he is no longer believed to be  an ordinary human being  as he has been transformed into a living deity." Don't just mention his name for God's  sake , he has turned into another thing and please don't go to where he lives " , a native warned this reporter and added" if you even go there you can never see him.Never,., but his attendant or the man in charge would attend to you.
Ijimagodo's age is not known some said he could be about 150years of age while others said he is about two centuries old .But according to Alapinni who is the custodian of the 'Household of Ijimagodo , ' the age of the man cannot be ascertained , he is very , very old .He is close to 180 years according to report .We met him here , our great grandfather met him here  too.He has become a Deity that we offer sacrifice to.
According to Alapinni, Ijimagodo was a king in his days and he reveal the secret to his wife which is not acceptable .He lives up till now and has become a man we worshiped.
Asked about the children of Ijimagodo , but Alapinni said all the people in the town are  his children
On how Ijimagodo looks like , " he has become small, tiny and he is being carried in a sack. Ijimagodo  looks like a lizard and his sight is frightening
Alapinni described Ijimagodo like this" he  was once a man of a huge stature I. Size , but he is  now very, very small and tiny ., Infact his height is  like that of placing a  bottle of coke  on top of another .He has shrunk .You know he has become very, very old and frightening.He does not come out anyhow .
Asked what it feeds on, , Alapinni was reluctant to continue his story saying , he is responsible to the Ila Community and would  not tell much but after some persuasions , he said ' Ijimagodo's food is blood , that is his food .He does not eat any other food apart from blood" 
Asked to confirm the story that Ijimagodo was said to be feeding on human blood in the olden days , but Alapinni said ' I don't know in the olden days but presently we give him animal blood "
Ijimagodo's importance
The strange man is brought out once in every year, when this reporter demanded to see him, Alapinni said ' You cannot just see him, and if you want to see him at all costs then you have to go and buy some animals and he needs t feed on their blood as his food", but when this reporter said he was not prepared.  Alapinni then humbly advised him to come back next time with the animals , if he is serious"
However, according to Alapinni , the Deity protects the town in all ramifications 

How Alapinni became the custodian 
Alapinni said  when it was his father' s turn  to ascend the throne of Alalpinni, he became afraid and ran away , " he ran away to Oshogbo , then to Ibadan where he was traced to until he ran to Kano where I was living .As a soldier I should not be afraid but when I was called to ascend the throne I was also afraid .
He continued

Mohammed  Aderemi Adedeji, 72 years I am chief Alalpini of Ila Orangun 
He had children , you can't point at any now , there are so many Alalpini that had lived after him, this one had a huge stature but had fone down , it's like two bottles of coke 
There areiny and cannot walk on his many things I cannot tell you, 
He has become Orisa , it became like that about many years ago , 
His wife was ....we worshiped him today 
'The day his wife was punished is celebrated every blessed year '
The day Kabiyesi is coming down to the palace , all the  newly elected chiefs would know 'Orun', when they know orun, they will now be part of group of chiefs coming to the place 
I am in charge of the the mysterious man. 
Women will be  dance and sing at the festival 
The man 
He makes sure the town is peaceful and what happened to him we don't want it to happen to any Oba again, we don't want the king to expose secret to any woman again , you can see that when the reigning Oba comes to the palace with the olori , the olori will sit down while the Oba will go into Ijimagodo's sacred place and nobody , his wives or women should  not enter there with him
Ijimagodo was a king then , he is still Oba , you can't kill him and you can't 
This Ijimagodo 
We don't want the Oba to show secrets to women again 
Let's forget about the past century , let's talk about now, occasionally we will kill animals , the man drinks blood,( I can't say of the past, I'm not permitted to talk )
How I combine soldier , chief and tradition 
When I retired I am here and I am a chronic civilian man, traditionally anything the chiefs and Kabiyesi are doing I have to cooperate , 
Any fear of Ijimagodo like a man who keeps zoo?
I am not afraid of Ijimagodo, since I received my staff of office I have been cooperating and he took me like a grandson .
The first time I performed the role , especially Alapini , I was so sober with my wife and children we were all crying , weeping seriously and bitterly on how I will cope., my children and myself were crying , weeping wether I would die the next day. But roughly a year or two I did not sleep in Alapini's compound because of  the fear .,on the long run. many people saw that I did not fear cos Yoruba says Omode Ko de bi eru ni eru Ko baaaa, do 
I thought after my retirement I would sit at  home and be enjoying ,that is what firstly made me cry, for over 10years I had retired  but those who used to je Oye Alapini should be 70or80years old , since they had written me that there would not be any problem , I was not living here , I was using it as an office , it is die die one gets closer to a lion , then I was not afraid again.Not as a soldier ,nothing concerns the tradition as a soldier , where does air not go ,But  if you are rubbing your hands regularly if u are offering sanctifies and rituals no problem
Muslim
I am a Muslim , but it is on a vow , all I have to do I would do it .I finished from Ansa UDEEN  sec, school, in Oshogbo it is a vow that  Mohammed had with Allah , the Muslim tenets had entered my blood , the Christian call it vigil , and that is what I do at night I would wake up at night for three weeks ....some come to beg for children, or their ways are blocked .Traditionally , on Ijimagodo people come to say they are asked to come and bo baba,( the natives)  they would be advised to buy animals , and they go there to slaughter the animal ,at the ojubo and drop its blood  and it would be burnt , and given the ' Aye', the person  will mention his name and pray with it , and within three or 4days he would hear the result
Will it appear?
Yes it would appear to him,Infact I thank God , in Koran if there is inira ayo is coming .
Before going out I would difa, if it is well I will go for example if Kabiyesi called me .....and the road is not okay I will tell him iro Alaali and tell him on doctor's advice I would not go out .I should not go out like igun that will not ask before going out
Ppppp
It is the return of my family to take it up,The old man that died before I came to the throne was supposed to be there , he was ( my father ) was supposed to be the Alalpini but he ran away to Osogbo, Ibadan but was traced until he ran to Kano.
I was under Brigadier Abdusalam  Abubakar then, and my after escaped from home .And I told my Brigade Commander , he said the Yorubas like money and he said I should go and that I should give them money and settle whatever they wanted to eat and drink,Immediately it was like that we came home , with my father .When I got home I saw a woman , ognontarigi iya ,  I directed Palmwine sellers to Alapini 's house , I paid all.I retired ( as a Warrant Officer)
Sacrifices 
Many Come here to offer sacrifices , they must have gone to many places , some would be told to come and bo  ' baba
When I became Alalpini, I met ...it is the town that owns Ijimagodo , but if they instructed u to go and worship Eegun and the sacred ( Irunmole )
Women must not enter the place .
Kolanuts, akara, moin moin , Palmwine and would be thrown into its section and I would tell them to carry on.
I met here as downstairs and I rebuild it to upstairs 
I have gone into another training like Chinese , the federal government sent me to federal college of Agric 
At home 
There is Aiye koto in his house, 
They sang his praises , all knelt down, to greet him praised him .....e ku inawo , e ku aseye .......

No comments:

Post a Comment

"I want to see electricity before I die"

High Chief  Olorunsola Alfred Ajibuwa , 90, is a retired teacher.  He says his Community is surroun ded by enemies. He spoke with Taiwo Ab...