Friday 11 October 2019

Tunde Anunkansogbo the solo gravedigger



              
Tunde during the interview

 .......Lost count of   graves dug
  .......Knows everybody in Owo
  .......Not afraid of the dead
.........Wants Aketi to assist him

    In Owo , he needs no introduction. He is popular and known all over the place. He is  5feet and 10 inches tall. He is  huge with pot bellied .He is  energetic and hard working . In fact he is called from the neighboring villages to come and work for them.Yes, he is  a one- man grave digger. He is an  unaccompanied grave digger.
His secretary  and office  are his ears and places where people  are mourning  and   wailing for losing their beloved ones -  whether old or  young .That is where his daily bread comes from.It is the source of his living.

   For the man called Bamilotuwa, his  work place is  at  the graveside ; he single -handedly digs grave , and assists to lower the coffin into the grave while he   covers  it alone with sand  to the amazement of everybody.  At times he fights whoever tries to assist him as he does not want  assistance. 
 Welcome to the  world of  Tunde Olagbende   popularly called Tunde Anunkansogbo, meaning Tunde who single- handedly digs the grave or the solo grave digger .
.Many times he would place  his cloth  on his shoulder, half-clad and  walks alone  and he is  being saluted with great response . At times he would stop to greet in order to know what is happening in the environment , that is the pot -bellied hardworking Anunkansogbo for you!. 

   IN THE  THE BUSINESS FOR  DECADES
Tunde said  he has been in this business for a long time , he said '' I cannot steal and that is the profession    I know and  can do  to earn a living , and I have been doing this job  for over 20years'' .
Asked to tell how many graves he has dug, Tunde replied '' I have lost count  of that . I cannot count the number  of the graves I have dug in my life . Take for instance I dug your mother's grave              ( referring to  this reporter's mother's grave),I dug Engineer  Musa's father's grave , I also dug  Pius Olabode's mother's grave, I participated in digging Oburegede's grave, I also dug Pa Laleye's grave  and Oluwasibogun's grave.I cannot remember the number of graves I have dug in compounds, houses, church cemeteries   irrespective of the deceased's religious affiliation'', he said

   WHY I'M CALLED ANUNKANSOGBO
He is being called Anunkansogbo  , not only because of his cheap services but because he is fast, and does not charge high  like others. Tunde  is very hardworking and very honest.  At parties when he sees any lost item he gives it back to the owner without asking for compensation.He said '' just give me the job I will not waste time, I have no time to waste. I can do it alone , no matter what .I used to collect 10,000 naira to dig a grave.  I don't charge high. My charge is reasonable compared to others. I used to dig  three to four graves in a day when there is business''.Asked whether he uses drug, but he emphatically answered ''N, what for ?''.

      NOT AFRAID OF THE DEAD
On whether he is afraid of the graves or the  dead while digging or had any nasty experience in the course of his work, but he swore ''I  am not afraid of  the dead. I am their father, I will beat them if they attempted it. I eat and sleep very well. I spend one hour to dig the grave''.
After burying the corpse he too would join the deceased's children to celebrate, and  he would dance with them too''.



         

   Tunde dancing at  a burial ceremony

        I'M HAPPILY MARRIED 
 Before, many looked at him  to be a non -serious man or a man who ''cannot do'' or '' perform'' but he later proved them wrong few years ago when his wife gave birth to a bouncing  baby boy. He  announced  to the world that he  has married and his wife had delivered a bouncing baby boy .''My son is  christened Olamilekan,  he is a boy'', he said .
While many erroneously thought   he does not know  what he is doing, Tunde proved them wrong  again  for he  is very wise and clever, according to him he has saved some   money to take care of his family and would soon stop digging grave as he planned to retire from the job .
      STAUNCH SUPPORTER  OF AKETI 
 Tunde campaigned vigorously for the present Ondo State governor , Arakunrin  Rotimi Akeredolu (SAN) to become the State Governor . He showed  his muffler with the APC logo. 
His words '' I love Aketi that was why I campaigned for him and I thought when he becomes the Governor I would get a job in the  Local Government .Please tell Aketi  not to  forget me o''.
 
           RETIREMENT
Asked when he would retire from  this rigorous job ,  Tunde said   he has stopped digging graves, he said laughing. While those he sat with denied, ''he is still digging'', one of them countered him.

        I CAN'T HAVE TWO WIVES
Asked whether he will have  another wife in addition to the one at home but he screamed , ''No,  I am comfortable with the one I have at home''.

         NEEDS   HELP
The man who is almost 60years  needs assistance, so we are appealing to the APC party members in Owo, Aketi the Ondo State governor  and well wishers to assist the   man who vigorously campaigned for him. 

       POPULAR

He knows everywhere and knows everybody in Owo no matter your status . When  a person dies in Owo ,he is easily sighted.
When next you see him in your area note that he heard of a deceased  person and wants to do his job. Please employ him.


  Hon.Muri Ahmed described  Anunkansogbo as a very hardworking and honest man, ''You see, he is hardworking, honest and does not fight .He goes on his own jejely ( without making trouble)
Agbaminoja Bunmi confirmed what Ahmed said ,'' the man knows everybody and would be the first person to greet you if he sees you. He needs help because he cannot continue digging like this''.
   Up to you readers, next time you see Anunkansogbo in your street know that he has a digging business there.

2 comments:

  1. Good job Taiwo pls keep it up, your focus its not for the Rich people alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you had interviewed him further he would have told you he stopped digging graves because of the surgical operation he had some years back.
    He is the one who would carry the sacrificial lamb (onugho) to the Ugbo Uloja on Ugbate day during Igogo festivals.

    ReplyDelete

"I want to see electricity before I die"

High Chief  Olorunsola Alfred Ajibuwa , 90, is a retired teacher.  He says his Community is surroun ded by enemies. He spoke with Taiwo Ab...