Sunday 10 November 2019

Orlando's songs are meaningful

Madam  CAROLINE MUIBATU OWOMOYELA
Madam Caroline Muibatu Owomoyela is the eldest and most senior  wife among the three surviving  wives  left behind by the High-life Musician Dr. Orlando Owoh who died on the 4th of November 2008.


                            Caroline speaks



........ Why he sang 'So dara bee?'
......... He goes to studio without rehearsal
...........I don't smoke
 
For the  light -complexioned  and beautiful woman  there  is no moment she does not remember her dutiful,loving and caring husband Dr. Orlando Owoh . 11 years after his demise she is still mourning the painful exit of  the  great musician   as she said he  cannot be compared with any man on earth .
The  woman  who is proud of her husband with confidence gave a brief introduction of  herself ,''My  name is Caroline Muibatu Owomoyela . Presently  I am the most senior wife among the surviving wives of the late Musician , Orlando Owoh.
  HOW I MET ORLANDO
Reminded the love she had for the great musician she  describes him like this '' He was  a great  husband,a great lover, an honest husband   and my confidant. He paid my bride price''.
Caroline who  could not remember the exact year she met her  late husband , Orlando   said ''I met him several years ago, I cannot remember the exact year . I met him in the 70s. But I know that I had my first child for him in 1973 and that is all I can  recollect and it's been long time ''.

MY  PARENTS' CONSENT
The woman burst into uncontrollable laughter when asked whether her parents approved the union , she  asked  ''whose parents will give such consent?'', she added  ''But both  of us had agreed because of our  mutual understanding   so there was nothing my parents could say then that one would listen to''. She praised Orlando for being a man of his own words unlike other men with empty and unfulfilled promises.  ''He was a man that  always fulfill his promise. He was not a liar, he was not a man that lies and the nature of his job does not permit him to lie, he did not know how to lie''

NONE OF MY CHILDREN SINGS

 Surprisingly none of Muibatu's children sings , as she told this reporter when asked whether her children also sing  ,''No,none of them sings. My children are all females, and some are in the United States of America  and are doing well in their chosen professions''.


 Orlando was a faithful husband

SHE RECOUNTS ONE OF HIS ARRESTS
Muibat said the late Musician was arrested many times for different  framed -up offenses and charges , she narrated one of the challenges Orlando experienced  , as she said   ''Yes, he went to play  somewhere in Sobe that was when  he praised his kinsmen  and did not  praise some royal fathers  which annoyed them , Orlando  was later advised  not to spend  that night in Ifon .It was in one of his   records  where he sang'' ( trying to remember) . 
The woman however  said Orlando once joined  the Army , she said  '' before I married him  I heard he joined the military and went to the war front. One of his kinsmen  Tunde Awodeyi  sent him  back . I have forgotten his (Awodeyi) rank whether Colonel, he was a high ranked man, He said '' ah, Orlando what have you come here to do?''. Awodeyi then stylishly brought Orlando back home and did not want him to be killed   in the war front , I mean  Orlando''.

 HE SANG ''OGEDENGBE....''
Asked to throw light on another song Orlando  sang when his Peugeot 504 Car was seized, the woman vividly remember and said  ''Yes, I  remember the song ( She sang the song ) , SO DAA BE?, where he sang '' Ogedengbe mi o, Oladimeji mi o , o gbe mi lori esin oo  o jami kale o, ye ye ye( My Ogedengbe, my Oladimeji , you placed  me on  the horse and pushed me down. Is that good enough?) he was reporting to his  friends then'
Muibatu narrated how the story went ,she said Orlando  bought a  Peugeot 504 Car on  hire purchase from  his friend ,Ogedengbe who was a Car dealer    then ,  but because he failed to  balance up  the Car dealer , Ogedengbe  seized   the car  from him,  at the end of the day he and  the Car dealer  later became friends again .I could remember the case very well'', the woman said.
WHAT OF OJO SONG, WHO IS OJO? 
In one of his  albums, the late  Musician  sang and poured panegyrics on  Ojo, Muibat knew him too , she said ''Yes, I know the Ojo  you are talking about. Orlando  had  a Band boy called Ojo, who was  his brother   he is Elvis Ojo. He had another Ojo but I can not remember him. Orlando's  older  brother is called  Ojo too , I know him very well''.

 MY BEST TRACK
Does she have a favourite  song  among all the songs Orlando waxed and  released?,she was asked  , the woman responded   '' I love all his music, none  can be pushed aside , they are all confirmed . I remember (she started singing)  Ma wo mi roro , ma wo mi roro, ...... all the lyrics  in his albums have meanings and rich in content,  they are  not ordinary songs .Song is gift from God'', she declared. However the woman said she does not sing like her husband.

 FOR ORLANDO , NO  REHEARSAL
Asked to confirm the rumour that the late African Kennery goes to the studio without doing rehearsal or practise as others do  , she confidently confirmed it   ''Yes, he would not do rehearsal , anytime he planned  to go to the studio he would just go  and record unlike  other musicians who will go and camp himself and his band somewhere and be practicing, no. It is a gift, if a musician  is talented  he would not be looking for songs to sing. It is a gift from God'', she said  beating  her chest.

I WAS WITH ORLAND'S DEATHBED 
This is a  bad memory  the wife of  Orlando does not want to remember at all  , she said she was with him at the hospital running around and praying for him not to leave  , she declared in low tone  '' I was with her at  the hospital , we were going ups and downs not knowing that  it was time for him to go . But  then I had the belief that he would still come back home ( discharged ) from the hospital. Anytime I flashed back remembering the scene I discovered that there is nothing one can do and resigned to fate.We would just be remembering and always be in our memory for ever , there is nothing we can do, we are all human''.

HIS TOMB
Orlando's tomb is being visited on daily basis by his fans and friends to pay homage to the great Singer and Composer. She said ''People come there to visit the tomb ''.
MEMORIES, MEMORIES
 Muibatu went down memory lane to remember how the late husband spoiled her with gifts anytime he traveled out of the country , she said ''After marrying him  he went to America , I was very happy . when his father died . ..he was an honest man''
I DON'T SMOKE
Was  she aware  that her  husband smoked Indian hemp ?, she replied  ''of course yes,   he smoked and sang its praise , people are aware that he smoked ganja . He did not misbehave. He smoked with sense'', she said with total approval and support. Asked further whether  she  too smoked like her husband , her response was ''No, we the wives at home did not o'' and she then  burst into laughter again.
The woman said each time they heard his music being played , her heart become heavy ''but there is nothing we can do and we thank God for his life''

2 comments:

"I want to see electricity before I die"

High Chief  Olorunsola Alfred Ajibuwa , 90, is a retired teacher.  He says his Community is surroun ded by enemies. He spoke with Taiwo Ab...