Monday 16 September 2019

I'm first to use Okada for commercial in Owo----Obameye


 


OBAMEYE

.......Started riding Okada at 15
.......I'm called Ese mi ko d'ele
.......I have used over 10 Okadas 
.......Sponsored  kids from Okada proceeds 


Ore Obameye [a.k.a Ese mi ko d'ele] is in early 40s, he   is one of the first set of people to start the Okada business in Owo.
  He speaks with taiwoabiodun.blogspot.com
 
 In the 1980s to early 90s nobody was  bold enough  to  use motorcycle [aka Okada] for commercial purpose  believing it was   degrading and it  belittled  one's social status. But as economy bit harder , and graduates became jobless  they  resulted to  using   Okada for commercial purpose.  First in the evening / night as part time  for nobody wanted to be seen doing it , and later during the day and as a full time business. 



HOW I EARNED MY NICKNAME

As the Commercial Okada rider attempted  to mount the motorcycle , he bend the motorcycle , asked this reporter to sit on it, then he jumped on top of it and    rode on.
In Owo, he is known and popularly called Ese mi ko d'ele which literally means '' My legs did not reach  the ground'' .
And he gave the reason why he is called the name, he said '' that is what you have just seen. I am a short man and my legs do not touch the ground while mounting the Okada, and that  is why I have to bend it , and that is why they call me Ese mi ko d'ele, he said as he burst into laughter.
                    ,
  OBAMEYE aka Ese mi ko d'ele

MY STORY
  ''My real names are Ore Obameye . I am over 40years of age and I have been riding this commercial motorcycle  for over 28years , that is since 1991, when many  shied away from using it as commercial business. I  was among the first set of people who started the commercial Okada business in Owo  .
''I was an apprentice for three years and after graduating from the vocational training   I went into  riding Okada for  business, infact I started doing the Okada business   when I was 15years of age  and I have spent 25years in this business''.
When probed further , he declared  '' I didn't go to school but I  trained my children by making sure they go to  school and  have sponsored three of my kids in school and I am proud of this '' .
The man boasted ''I  have used about 9 or 10 Okadas  and  have never had an accident in my life''.

''When I bought my first Okada it was 120,000 naira but it is now 270,00 naira like the Boxer I am using now''
Any dream to buy a car?, this reporter asked and he answered  ''Yes, I did plan to buy one but I was later advised to buy a farmland which they told me it is more profitable than a car''.

MY FAMILY
Obameye is a responsible family man , according to him , he has a wife at home , but he did not deny that he had other two wives earlier on , his words ''Presently I have one wife at home , my other two wives who did not exercise patience  left me'', he said as he looked at this reporter straight in the eye. 

OKADA BUSINESS IS LUCRATIVE BUT.....
Asked whether the Okada business is lucrative or not , the man said with total conviction ''There is money in Okada business , that is if one plans very well on it , Okada business is a lucrative business '' he said , beating his chest.
 Despite the lucrativeness  of  the business, the man called Ese mi ko d'ele swore to high heavens that none of his children will do the business.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"I want to see electricity before I die"

High Chief  Olorunsola Alfred Ajibuwa , 90, is a retired teacher.  He says his Community is surroun ded by enemies. He spoke with Taiwo Ab...